POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fire & Ice #2 [~130 KB] : Re: Fire & Ice #2 [~130 KB] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire & Ice #2 [~130 KB]
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 17 Feb 2006 16:03:12
Message: <43f63a10$1@news.povray.org>
>> Of course, *real* wax is partially transparent. Especially so close to
>> a powerful light source. Hmm...
>

>   Yeah, almost like our own skin. Ever held a torch under your hand in
> the dark? If you want to see 'freaky', then try it.

Freaky indeed.

You can get a similar effect using a powerful light source (e.g., a
multi-billion-ton nuclear fision reactor like the Sun) through your own
eyelids.

Of course, for real freakyness, nothing quite beats when you have an eye
exam and they use the bright lighty shiny thing and you can see the
reflection of all the veins at the back of your own eye... *shudders*

Bringing this back on-topic... I presume this is the "subsurface
scattering" everybody keeps babbling about?